Contract Length: 5 Months
IR35: Out of Scope
Minimum Requirement: Experience using Docker Systems, Terraform and Kubernetes
Security Clearance: BPSS/DBS
Interview Process: In Person
We're looking for talented and tenacious people to join our digital teams in London,
Birmingham and Sheffield to take the lead in creating world-class services. We use cutting-edge agile software development approaches to make rapid but meaningful improvements to public services that live up to the unique challenges of CLIENTS responsibility to society.
Web Operations supports the development and operation of software through tools, environments and practices. Web operations engineers will learn throughout their work by assisting in the building of a complex story. Web operations engineers can act as a technical product owner, developing medium-long term strategies for product lines - identifying, testing and championing the adoption of emerging technologies.
More senior members of the community deliver and integrate software, plan and design as well as enabling product delivery through the deployment of strategies that are repeatable, scalable and highly available.
● Transforming technical requirements into automated processes including managing tools and testing environments, central code control, maintaining development standards and writing software that automates systems Deliver automated software components that form part of a toolchain and transform technical requirements into automated processes
● Build complex stories without additional support
● Be able to manage live test environments
● Identify and resolve issues preventing delivery.
● Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team and technical/non-technical communities
CAPABILITIES (across the Development Operations community)
Capabilities are the knowledge and skills required to do a certain job or task.
● Development process optimisation - Aware of the importance considers developing process efficiency and the common ways in which processes are optimised. Supports specific activities to improve development processes. Able to spot or identify obvious deficiencies.
● Modern standards approach - Understands key principles of modern standards approach and how they apply to the work they are undertaking and will apply under guidance.
● Programming and build (software engineering) - Collaborates with others when necessary to review specifications and uses these agreed specifications to design, code, test and document programmes or scripts of medium to high complexity, using the right standards and tools.
● Service support - Identifies, locates and competently fixes faults.
● Systems design - Translates logical designs into physical designs. Produces detailed designs and documents all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate. Designs systems characterised by managed levels of risk, manageable business and technical complexity and meaningful impact. Works with well-understood technology and identifies appropriate patterns.
● Systems integration - Able to build and test simple interfaces between systems, or can work on more complex integration as part of a wider team.
● User focus - Identifies and engages with users or stakeholders to collate user needs evidence and understands and defines research which fits user needs. Able to use quantitative and qualitative data about users to turn user focus into outcomes.
Availability and capacity management - Manages the service components to ensure they meet business needs and performance targets.
● Information security - Has an appreciation of information security, designing solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as the core part of the solutions and services.
● Prototyping - Sees prototyping as a team activity, actively soliciting prototypes and testing with others. Establishes design patterns and iterates them. Knows a variety of methods of prototyping and chooses the most appropriate ones.
CIVIL SERVICE COMPETENCIES (across the Development Operations community)
In the Civil Service, we use our Competency Framework to outline expected behaviours and we will use these as part of our wider assessment during the interview process.
For this role, the following competencies are the most relevant:
● Making effective decisions
● Changing and improving
● Collaborating and partnering
● Managing a quality service
● Leading and communicating