The client has a need for a highly motivated individual to join a very small team on a short-term basis to manage and enhance the JASMIN big data infrastructure. Of the multi £M scale and breadth of the infrastructure that this post will contribute to (45PB high speed data storage, 10,000's of CPU cores of HPC and VMware and RHEL/OpenStack virtualised infrastructure and cutting edge high performance networking).
* You will work closely with the systems and hardware team to ensure that the services are able to meet the scientists' requirements in delivering a user-focused production environment.
* Tasks may include:
1. Developing and deploying monitoring and alerting tools and metrics for new and unique storage and virtualisation platforms. Including Prometheus, influxDB, elastic search, Grafana and Icinga2
2. Building and expanding of a large (200 node) OpenStack deployment including creation of cluster-as-a-service building blocks and templates.
3. Deployment of OpenShift or similar container platforms.
Any other Relevant Information
* As well as bringing your experiences to the project, the small size of the team means that you will gain experience in all the many areas of the infrastructure such as HPC and Big Data.
1. Professional experience as a Linux system administrator
2. Shell scripting
1. Familiarity with Linux variants RHEL/CentOS/SL versions 6 and 7
2. Server installation/commissioning/decommissioning
3. Experience of configuration management systems
4. Working with system monitoring and alerting packages such as Nagios/Icinga
5. Experience of working in a scientific or research environment