The post-holder will be the most technically responsible for all areas of the SQL Server environment including ongoing improvement of the existing databases, identifying processing bottlenecks and implementing performance tuning where appropriate
You will also be required to assist in the design and development of replacement databases utilizing industry standard technologies and methodologies.
The role will also require the migration of SQL databases, DTS and SSIS packages, reporting services and analysis services to later versions.
Key working relationships:
Internal: Senior DBA / Head of Interoperability
Main duties and responsibilities:
Core Technical Responsibilities
- Prime responsibility for the technical design of databases, DTS and SSIS packages, Replication, Reporting Services and supporting technical documentation.
- Responsibility for the formulation and implementation of policies internal to the department, relating to the support and maintenance of SQL database servers which are used to provide Trust-wide clinical services and financial services.
- Significantly responsible for the Installation build, patching and security of SQL Servers in various configurations including enterprise, clustered and standard configurations
- Operational responsibility, when SQL Server or database problems occur, at any time of day or night, for making rapid personal decisions regarding the most appropriate action to ensure continued (24×7) availability of core systems.
- Working at a highly complex level of technology, using a mixture of SQL Server releases and operating systems, to undertake detailed analysis, design, programming and testing work on all SQL systems developed within IT Services.
- Providing significant technical contribution to the configuration, system management and preventative maintenance of the complex system of servers that make up the IT Services systems.
- Providing significant technical contribution, to the maintenance of expensive IT hardware used in all areas across the Trust.
Service Planning / Improvement
- Significantly contribute to ensuring all SQL Server applications are fit for purpose in terms of routine operation throughout the Trust, and also for the system's maintenance and supportability, wider deployment and commercial exploitation.
- To fully implement system upgrades for use across the Trust. To monitor, review and implement improvements as required following a full consultation process with users.
- Specify details of program internal design and implementation and supervising the work of less senior programmer/analysts ; working closely with the other programmer/analysts (of all grades) within the team to motivate and influence outcomes.
- To liaise with and influence Head of Development Services, the Application Development Manager and other members of the Trust at all levels including Trust Executives (as appropriate to each area of development) relating to the design, development and implementation of new or enhanced systems functionality, providing detailed and highly complex technical advice.
- In situations where incipient operational problems are detected, responsible for planning and executing
Development and Training
- Responsible for personal development in SQL Server programming, administration and performance tuning techniques, and in the underlying design of the systems developed within IT Services
- Responsible for the specification and allocation of SQL programming work to be carried out by programmers or contractors in the application development team when appropriate, and for providing leadership in such projects, reviewing the progress and quality of such work and the performance of individuals.