Product Manager - Digital/Agile
Contract 6-12 months
We are currently looking for a Product Owner for our client based in central Coventry, on an initial 6 month contract with extensions. £500 - £550 p/d
About the role:
As Product Manager you will be experienced in leading a multidisciplinary team, supporting and continuously improving products of significant scale and complexity.
You will take products through discovery, alpha, beta and live phases of development with the goal of making government services simpler, easier and faster to use. You will devise and iterate the product roadmap and backlog, be a champion for user needs, document product knowledge, and communicating plans and progress through various channels including the blog, stakeholder meetings and demos.
You will also be an active part of the broader product management community, coaching and mentoring Associate Product Managers and Product Managers, supporting the quality assessment of your colleagues' products (known as 'service assessment'), and sharing learning and new techniques with the community.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Responsibility for the delivery, ongoing success and continuous improvement of one or more digital products. These digital services can be public-facing and internal tools used
- Leadership of one or more multidisciplinary agile delivery teams to deliver excellent new products and iterations to existing products to meet user needs.
- Supporting business and service improvement through the development of digital capability
- Conducting customer and product discovery to define an ecosystem, understand and redesign user journeys, develop user personas and to create a product vision based on those findings.
- Delivery at pace, with a commitment to agile and continuous iterative development.
- Product ownership: you are an expert in product management, using a range of techniques to work with a multidisciplinary team and translate user needs into deliverables
- User focus: you understand users (who they are, what their needs are, how they behave and how they change over time) and deliver products and services that meet these needs. You can prioritise users' most pressing needs, and are able to coach other Product Managers to do the same
- Problem ownership: you take a problem statement and can work with a multidisciplinary team to validate the problem, refining it and narrowing its focus until it becomes feasible and valuable to solve. You understand how problems fit in the larger context of the portfolio, and build the problem solving capabilities of others
- Strategic ownership: focussed on benefits (not features), you develop ambitious visions and strategies and are able to get organisational buying and translate them into deliverable goals. You can build longterm product roadmaps, and can build the capability of others
- Experience of working with agility: you can coach and lead teams in agile practices. You are as a recognised expert in working with agility, continuously reflecting and challenging the team to improve
- Product lifecycle perspective: you have experience of the full product lifecycle and can lead a team through each stage, continuing to meet user needs by iterating your product (this includes live support and incident response). You can recognise when it is right to move forward and when it is right to stop a product, and can coach others to do the same
- Previous experience of working on government and GDS projects.
It is desirable that you have:
- An understanding of constraints: an understanding of policy, legislative, regulatory and operational constraints, adapting products where needed. You are beginning to challenge constraints when needed, and can coach others to improve their skills
- Knowledge of the digital economy: you are aware of the varieties of digital contexts and design service to fit them, keeping up to date with new technologies and their potential use.
Please click and apply to hear more.