Network and Security Specialist
Location: Birmingham - Central
Salary: £40,000+ (Negotiable)
The Network and Security specialist role is a strategic and operational subject matter expert and engineer based in the Birmingham office.
You are responsible for planning, organising, testing and operations to ensure the scalability and end to end security of the Organisation's technical landscape. This includes developing, maintaining, testing, supporting and optimising key logical and functional areas, particularly network, server, communications and telecommunications security.
- Define new and maintain existing technical control measures.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration and security to include
- Coordinated responses to security events.
- Conduct research and make recommendations, including potential impact on the business, to the management team around:
- security enhancements.
- current security threats/trends.
- Validate and update appropriate aspects of disaster recovery and business continuity processes and planning.
- Participate in the development of IT strategies in collaboration with the management team.
- Work towards achieving and maintaining Organisation level recognized network / information security accreditation (ISO27001 etc)
- Identify and resolve potential and actual security shortcomings.
- Implement security improvements by assessing current situation, evaluating trends and anticipating outcomes.
- Perform systems and network hardening.
- Recognize problems by identifying abnormalities.
- Set up resource monitoring and alerts where applicable.
- Tuning of ACL, AV, CF, DLP, Firewall, IDS and IPS rules / sensors.
- Update of systems and services to maintain required vulnerability threshold.
- Exceptional knowledge of service and application delivery, as well as successful service level agreement accomplishments.
- Hands-on experience in troubleshooting Networks and Security issues.
- Knowledge of current protocols and standards.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities with an eagerness to dig into technical problems and examine them from all sides.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong Analytical and Diagnostic Skills
- Knowledge of general programming / software development concepts with some knowledge of languages, (eg: C / C++, Java), disassemblers and assembly.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (eg: Perl, PHP,Python)
- General Server Administration and Desktop Support Skills
Essential experience of / exposure to:
- o Access Control Technologies
- o Anti-X Endpoint Protection Services
- o Intrusion Detection / Prevention Technologies
- o Linux Operating Systems
- o Microsoft Technologies (Client, Server and Virtualisation)
- o Managed Access Points, Switches, Routers, Security Appliances and Other Network Infrastructure
- o Network Analyser
- o Remote Access Technologies
- o Telephony Technologies
- o Web Application Technologies
- o Wireless Technologies
- o AWS & Azure Cloud based Infrastructure and security measure