We are currently recruiting for a IT project Officer on a contract for our client based in Somerset. You will be working within a large project to help deliver a diverse range of innovative technical solutions that underpin our clients business and its improvement agenda, you will also be responsible for the governance and communication of all related projects, leading project teams through the life cycle phases of a project, ensuring all actions are captured, risks are minimised and projects are delivered on time and to budget.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- To lead and deliver project management of small to medium scale projects including the risks, issues and relevant documentation for reporting whilst positively influencing all stakeholders and managing significant change.
- To manage projects using an approved methodology such as Prince2 to ensure timely completion of works including, where necessary, co-ordination of the implementation of business changes brought about by the project.
- To manage resource input requirements in relation to project(s) and the delivery of key milestones and targets including co-ordination of resource with Managers and other stakeholders.
- To ensure the timely release of agreed budgets for project work and to be responsible for the day-to-day management of project expenditure.
- To work with service areas on the construction and evaluation of tenders, supplier selection and contract negotiations, prior to the award of contracts for the project(s) in conjunction with procurement specialists and in line with corporate strategies.
- To act as the interface between the client's user community, IT and the third party suppliers so as to ensure compliance with the project's requirements, delivery and implementation schedules.
- To provide and co-ordinate IT technical advice and assistance to users within the designated project(s).
- To ensure appropriate levels of communication on the direction, progress and goals of the project(s) to all relevant interested parties and report on progress to Project Board(s) and IT and advise on the future conduct of the project(s).
- To ensure that projects are justified by a robust assessment of their benefit against the costs incurred, address the needs and objectives of clients and are compatible with the BIS Strategy.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (desirable)
- Prince2 Practitioner (desirable)
- Prince2 Foundation.
- Project management experience on delivery of small to medium scale IT related projects.
- Proven ability to procure software solutions
- Proven ability to take consultative approach to business problems in multiple areas of expertise.
- Numerate with proven ability to understand and input to commercial business cases.
- Working with key stakeholders at all levels.
- Proven ability to manage cross functional teams.
- Proven local government IT project experience (desirable)
- Knowledge of project management methodologies and their application.
- Good level of professional and technical knowledge in relation to IT software systems and their capability.
- An understanding of the existing government procurement frameworks such as the Public Services Network (PSN).
- Good understanding of business process re-engineering.
- Knowledge in relation to the management of change across medium to large organisations.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical skills to identify solutions.
- Ability to think and act corporately.
- Good negotiation and persuasive skills together with tactfulness and diplomacy.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Significant organisational skills.
- Ability to deal with change and to motivate and encourage others.
- Ability to work on own initiative, prioritise work-load and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility in adapting to changing work-loads and priorities (desirable).