E-commerce Developer / Milton Keynes / Permanent
The e-Commerce Developer will be a member of the web application development team. You will deliver imaginative solutions to business problems. The role entails analysis, systems development, support and maintenance of activities across the business. Given your specialist business background you will understand where practical solutions can be chosen to meet business change requirements and where a high quality focus will be required.
- Analyse business processes and requirements, both individually and as part of a team.
- Produce documentation for new and existing processes, including process manuals.
- Identify potential or actual issues in proposed, new or existing processes.
- Provide estimates for work based on requirements analysis.
- Adhere to the software development life-cycle and development standards.
- Deliver development effort according to analysis and estimates.
- Support system and user testing effort.
- Provide tier 2 support for production code.
- Provide consultancy on your areas of business expertise to other developers.
- Is responsible for completing all mandatory training and to do so within required timescales
Work as a member of the development team of 36 to develop and support software used by over 600 users. This role requires enhanced vetting as per the Referencing and Staff Vetting Policy.
Job knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience required:
- Excellent knowledge of one or more of the core business activities e.g. trading, banking, benefits, charges etc.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Be a team player but able to work independently using your initiative.
- Have excellent time management and the ability to work to challenging deadlines.
- Likely to hold a financial services professional qualification
Over time the successful applicant will be introduced to and trained in the use of a variety of development methods, tools and languages.
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Web Services
- OO (Object Oriented Programming)
- Relational Databases
- MVC (Model View Controller)
- MVVM (Model-View-View-Model)
Key working relationships and external/internal contacts:
- Internal relationships include Architect team, Business Analysts in the Business Change Team, and System Testing and UAT teams
- External relationships include technology partners such as Microsoft
- External relationships include third party data integration partners
- Flexible, Can-do attitude
- Works closely with Development Manager, to ensure team are focused on the right thing at the right time.
- Graduate calibre with typically 5 - 10 years' experience in technology set
- Has transferable skills and will have worked in other large organisations
- Deep technical specialist and has an expert working knowledge in multiple technologies
- No direct people management responsibilities but will support the Development Manager and will mentor and be the go to person for less experienced Developers
- Will manage a project team, taking lead responsibility for their technology specialism
- Will typically have one primary project and oversee 3 - 4 other projects at various stages - projects vary in length, i.e. 10 - 100 days build time
- Able to deal with a high level of technical complexity and will deal with the most technically complex work in conjunction with Development Manager
- Peaks and troughs in workload can be a challenge and needs to be able to deal with the pressure of tight deadlines
- Will have some autonomy as the lead developer for an application, with collective responsibility for delivery to deadlines with the Development Manager and Project Management Office (PMO)