We are on an exciting journey, transforming the department through a commitment to deliver user-centred, evidence-based policy and end-to-end services. We have passionate members of staff, recognised across government as experts at bringing research, policy and delivery together, who are leading this transformation within the department and across global government
We are now looking for a Delivery Manager for an initial contract of up to 6 months to work in a multidisciplinary team who are tackling the big problem of how we recruit and retain enough teachers.
How might we improve and design new services and policy that helps schools recruit enough teachers and keep them?
The team will follow a user-centred design approach to designing policy and services that meet user needs and policy outcomes.
You will join a team with a User Researcher(s), Service Designer and Product Manager to co-design and prototype solutions with users and working with policy people, analysts and others.
Who we're looking for
- You will be comfortable working through uncertainty and planning and leading discoveries
- You will want to help the government transform we delivers outcomes to users
- You will have deep expertise and passion for user-centred design
- You will have Lean Agile and Human Centred Design experience - a deep knowledge of Agile, Lean and Human Centred Design tools and techniques, with an ability to coach within and outside of their team. Understands the servant leadership role of the Delivery Manager and how to empower an Agile team to be self-organising and continuously improve. You know how to build a team with the right skills, personality and ability to meet the challenge at hand.
- You will be an effective communicator - able to break down organisational, technical and political boundaries. You are excellent at leading and communicating your delivery strategy and the product vision to diverse teams and stakeholders.
- You will have experience of managing planning, budgets, data, risks and issues - you are experienced in short/long term planning within an Agile project, adept at dealing with change and uncertainty yet able to balance this with structure and direction. You have experience with various techniques and approaches and are able to manage risks and issues as well as plan and track budgets. You know how to gather and analyse data that will help you and your team continually inspect, adapt and improve.
- You will be a team dynamics expert - you understand people, have great intuition and social awareness. You are able to coach, facilitate, mentor and teach as best suits the needs of the individuals within your team. You are able to ensure the health of the team, facilitate conflict resolution and accelerate performance.
- You'll ideally have had previous experience of working on GOV.UK/GDS projects
- You'll be enthusiastic about building capability in others and contributing to the department's communities of practice
- Deliver projects and products using the appropriate agile project management methodology, learning & iterating frequently.
- Lead the collaborative, dynamic planning process, prioritising work based on the capacity and capability of the team.
- Manage risks, issues and blockers.
- Agile ceremonies.
- Identify and adopt agile methodology appropriate for the maturity of the team Regular iterative cycle is identified and executed Continuous learning and improvement mechanism in place.
- Planning process introduced and successfully adopted by team Capacity planning is introduced and effective.
- Communicate issues effectively and, effectively manage risk. Proactively remove blockers.
- Lead agile ceremonies for the team(s).
All specialist contractors are required to help upskill civil service colleagues as needed.
Must have recent experience working for a Public Sector/Government organisation. CVs will not be considered without this.